Tampa Jewish Family Services’ Organizational History
Over sixty years ago, a committee of volunteers was formed to help Jewish people during the bleak years of the Great Depression. This group of people was housed at one of the local synagogues and helped any family or individual that was in need.
1954: Organization was incorporated and began to hire paid staff.
1973: Hired first professional director as the need for services continued to grow.
1982: Changed location from the Jewish Community Center to a separate facility. This created many opportunities for Tampa Jewish Family Services because staff and volunteers could operate in a coordinated effort under one roof.
1982: First year TJFS received an allocation from the United Way. This enabled the agency to begin to expand its services to the general community as well as the Jewish community.
1993: Moved from its separate location to its current location, Tampa Jewish Community Campus on Gunn Highway, and joined other communal agencies in one location. This move has allowed for greater collaboration with other Jewish agencies.
2012: TJFS currently provides services, using United Way, Verizon and Jewish Federation funds, focused on meeting the needs of children, teens, families, singles and seniors of all faiths in the Tampa Bay community.
For more information, call 813.960.1848.